NCAA DIII NORTHWEST CONFERENCE

Saturday, February 6, 2010

on leadership

I've been very inspired lately by a book I just finished reading:  Talent and the Secret Life of Teams by Terry Pettit, a former volleyball coach who has retired and lives in Northern Colorado.  He took the Nebraska program and built a volleyball powerhouse---achieving 21 conference championships, and winning a national title in 1995.  Among other things he has this to say about leadership--

"Leadership does not worship heroes, but trains and gives the opportunity for heroic behavior"

No matter how large an act, or how small, I like the idea of looking for, and celebrating, our team's "heroic behaviors" as we embark on a winning season!  And even more so I am looking for ways as a coach to create spaces for players where bold leadership can occur!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.